We are delighted to announce that we have been selected by the DfE to be one of the 34 English Hub designated across the country to support excellence in teaching of phonics and early reading as well as promoting a love of reading.
All support offered by the hubs will the three priority areas:
- Early language development: providing evidence-based approaches to early language development and closing the word gap in school-based early years settings, including appropriate use of formative assessment;
- Age-appropriate phonics provision: encouraging best practice in systematic synthetic phonics teaching from school-based early years provision to the end of Key Stage 1, and as the primary reading strategy throughout the school. This includes encouraging fidelity to a single systematic synthetic phonics programme; supporting the effective use of decodable books in the early stages of learning to read, as a way of establishing phonic decoding; supporting effective practice in formative assessment in relation to phonics/early reading.
- Promoting a love of reading: encouraging reading for enjoyment including by supporting whole school reading approaches, reading to children at least once a day and encouraging reading at home, developing teachers’ knowledge of appropriate children’s literature.
Support the English Hub will be offering in 2019-20 includes:
- Providing showcase events for up to 170 participants from up to 85 schools.
- Assessing and offering feedback on the action plans of 85 schools, including assessing requests for resources.
- Providing a full development day in schools for to up to 30 schools and a follow up visit.
- Match funding for up to 85 schools to buy resources such as training and decodable reading books. There will be a presumption that these resources are match funded by schools (with a cap of £3,000 per school). However, if schools meet two of the following criteria the hub will have discretion to offer outright funding at a cap of £6,000 per school:
- o o Phonics Screening Check score below the national average;
- o o Ofsted Requires Improvement or Inadequate;
- o o above average numbers of pupils eligible for the Pupil Premium; and/or
- o o the school is in an Opportunity Area
To find out more about our work or to access some support, please email us on English.Hub@mangoschool.org, call 01454 867400 or follow us on twitter @primary_hub